The civil service commission shall make all necessary rules and regulations to carry out the purposes of this part and for examinations, appointments and promotions. All rules and regulations shall be printed by the civil service commission for distribution. Shall have the power to either affirm the department director or to reverse the charges made by the department director but this power shall not be construed to confer upon the civil service commission the right to impose a new or different penalty than that imposed by the department director.
Size: Three (3) members.
Appointments: Appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the council.
Political Party: Not more than two members of commission shall at any one time be of the same political party. (State law)
Required Members: Three members (State law)
Terms: Six (6) years per city & state code.
Chairman/Vice-chairman: One of the three (3) members shall be designated chairman by the Commission and will preside at all meetings of the Commission.
Secretary: An employee of the City shall be appointed to serve as secretary to the Commission.
Removals: Can be removed by City Council, majority vote of entire membership for misconduct, inability or willful neglect in performance of office duties.
Meeting Frequency: As matters arise.
Rules: Can make rules as necessary, but must be printed and distributed.
- Advise the Mayor and the Personnel Director on matters concerning personnel administration.
- Advise and assist the Director in fostering the interest of institutions of learning, and civic, professional and employee organizations in the improvement of personnel standards in the municipal service.
- Make any investigation which it considers desirable concerning the personnel administration and report to the Mayor at least once each year its findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Hear appeals in case any employee in the Civil Service is suspended for a period of three or more days or 24 working hours, reduced in grade, or removed from employment and report in writing its findings and recommendations to the Director who shall transmit the report to the Mayor. The department head shall forthwith carry out and execute such recommendations.
- Approve, amend, or reject, in whole or in part, Civil Service rules prepared by the Personnel Director.
- Perform such other duties with reference to personnel administration not inconsistent with general law as the Mayor may require by ordinance. Compensation: $25.00 per meeting but no more than $100.00 per month.
Board Member Selection Factors
- Respected history of sound ethical judgment
- Experience in working with employee grievances
- Available to attend meetings during City’s normal work hours
- Ability to analyze and decide proper courses of action in complex personnel matters
- Ability to analyze and formulate functional rules and regulations in a public safety environment
Current members of the Civil Service Commission include:
|Board Member||Term Expires|
Nominate yourself or someone else to serve on the Civil Service Commission by filling out the online application.